Monday, November 20, 2006

Day Eight – Granada

Something I ate the day before made me sick to the stomach, and I woke up several times during the night for bathroom breaks. And since I had to wake up at 4:30am to get ready for Granada, you can imagine how tired I was for my first adventure out of the Esteli.


In Granada, the first thing my uncle, grandma and I did was eat. It was delicious, but I didn’t eat much because my stomach still hurt (and continued to hurt until we returned to Esteli.)

Then a boat ride on the lake to see the Isletas, or little islands formed by the volcano. There are over 165 (I think) little islands with gorgeous houses on them - mostly owned by the elite. Then we found our hotel room, took some naps, and headed toward the city centre in search of the Iglesia de Mercedes. Mass was just starting, and since we are good little Catholics -- we attended. The outside of the church still looks burnt, I must find out why...
Another photo of Granada - it really is a colorful city. It was once the home of the Spanish elite during colonization, but now the paint is wearing on many of the buildings.

No comments: