Monday, September 11, 2006

I'm an Ironman (photographer)


In another "Adventures of Craigslist" entry, I signed up to help organize photos at the Wisconsin Ironman competition. Just for the record, the Ironman is a 2.4 mile swim, a 112 mile bike and a 26.2 mile run.

This year over 2600 people started the race, and each one was photographed about 4-9 times at different stages throughout the race. And all of these photos were express printed, then organized by a 12 person team in a small room in the Monona Terrace. We worked through the night and finished at about 6:30 A.M.

The funniest part about this experience is that they needed an extra photographer, and since I have Masters in Multimedia - they let me be it! So I took about an hour's worth of photos of extremely tired and cold athletes, right after they finished the race, in front of the Ironman backdrop, and holding up their well-deserved medals. The winner finished in just over 9 hours and the oldest Ironman was 70 years old. 70. I hope to have a motorized wheelchair when I'm 70.

((Photo is from Flickr, hopefully FlickrFinn doesn't mind I stole it.))

1 comment:

Jonny said...

Give Sarah Woods a run for her money. You are now an experienced photographer.