Anyway, I'm in Frankfurt (AKA Mainhattan or Bankfurt), which is home to the European Central Bank and the Frankfurt Stock Exchange (and in a couple weeks, World Cup matches). So it's a very rich, very pretty city. Gorgeous weather too! There were tons of people eating out on the street, riding bicycles and hanging out by the river Main.
First stop, the old part of the city, Romerberg. And when I say "old," I mean "old-looking." Most of the city was destoyed during WWII, so almost everything is a reconstruction. Here's a photo ((please note shiny new matching thimble.))
Here's one of the churches that was rebuilt from 1950-1953 (the fourth time this particular church was rebuilt). View from the outside:
And the inside...
About two blocks away is the Frankfurt Museum of Modern Art. The best part of this museum is its triangular shape, like a slice of pie. So all the rooms inside are at an angle. My favorite piece was one by Thomas Bayrle, which from afar looked like Mao, but when you get close you'll see it's actually hundreds of little soldiers. Then press a button and the soldiers move to be a star. Cool.

Then back to the hostel for some downtime. I was sharing a room with another American named Rushelle. She was on day two of a seven month backpacking trip through Europe. Can you believe that?? Seven months by herself!! So we had a few biers in the hostel, making friends with other backpackers, and went to sleep. (A 1.5 Litre of Binder was 2.50 Euro, I wish it were that cheap in Ireland.)
1 comment:
YAY, Juno's back!
Post a Comment