Monday, October 31, 2005

Glendalough with the Hiking Club

Well, I finally made it out of Dublin, thanks to Hiking Club. We went to Glendalough (pronounced Glen-DA-lock). In the 6th Century St. Kevin set up a monastery in the valley. St. Kevin, so into nature, was known to stand in the lakes with his arms outstretched until birds would make nests in his hands:) All that's left is ruins.

Glendalough Ruins on the Trail

The hike itself was gorgeous. About 40 members of the hiking club (about eight Irish and the rest foreigners) did the 3.5 hour hike. The hike took us through an old village - see picture above, zig-zaging up the hill beside the waterfall, up and across the ridge, through St. Kevin's monastic ruins and ending at the nearest pub. Not a bad way to spend Halloween. (That's right - no costume this year.)

Hiking Club

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny, I see what appears to be someone dressed as a Souix Indian, or perhaps Iroquois....I don't know. Nice Costume!