Sunday, February 12, 2012

Day 21 | Kayaking Milford Sound

Gorgeous drive, Homers tunnel. I thought would be longer by the way it's talked up, but it's still pretty impressive knowing how much rock is above the tunnel.

When you get through the tunnel, you get to Fjordland, appropriately named. It's like a land before time... but with roads.


Our accommodation for the night - private cabins just large enough to fit two twin beds. It's one of only a handful of accommodations near Milford Sound.

Then off to a twilight kayaking tour of the fjord - with fur seals and bellbirds. It was amazing and easily one of the highlights of the trip. There were only two of us with the guide.




We attempted to kayak into Stirling falls, but the power of the water prevented us from getting too close.
My neck hurt from after the fjord, since I was looking directly up for the majority of the kayak trip (about three hours).
Fur seal behind me! Those fur seals make the rocks look so comfortable...
Our guide
Look how steep and smooth the fjord is to the water!

Dinner at Blue Duck (fish & chips). The Blue Duck is the *only* restaurant there, so we got to know the menu pretty well.

Side Note: I'm adding See Norwegian Fjords onto my bucket list. I think Fjords are my new favorite thing.



No comments: