Friday, April 24, 2009

Vacation Part I: Paris

So, because I've been traveling a bit for work lately (I was in North Dakota April 13-15 & 21-22), I haven't really "planned" any details of the vacation. Last night I realized I had a five hour layover in Detroit and arrived in Paris later than I thought. So, around midnight the day of the flight, I called my SkyTeam Elite number, and changed the flights for the perfect Paris layover. Arrive in Paris around 9:00am Friday, leave around 6:30pm Saturday for Dublin.

For those of you wondering what I'm doing in Paris - two reasons. One - I've always wanted to say I went to Paris for the weekend. (Freshly crossed off the bucket list.) Two - since I'm using frequent flyer miles for the trip and they had me taking the detour anyway, I thought I'd extend the layover. Yay for me.

Also, since this is a random trip anyway, the best possible movie they could show on the flight - Yes Man - served as my inspiration on the trip. Jim Carey plays a guy who thinks his life needs more interest, so he decides to say Yes to everything. So now, the mood of the trip is set.

The guy at the hotel said I should see Notre Dame first:)

I kept thinking about that quote from Sabrina - "Could you bring me back one of those little Eiffel Towers?"
Most of the time in Paris, I just walked around.
Apparently Parisians don't like children.
After a 2.5 hour nap, I went out to the place where they filmed Da Vinci Code.
I thought the Mona Lisa would be bigger, like the size of a hippo.
Robert Langdon: [reading off papyrus scroll] The holy grail 'neath ancient Roslin waits. The blade and chalice guarding o'er her gates. Adorned in masters' loving art, she lies. She rests at last beneath the starry skys.
On the walk back to the hotel, I saw hundreds of young people sitting a pedestrian bridge, picnicking with wine and cheese and fruit. How great would it be to just join in? I'm still not that adventurous:)

No comments: