Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Irish Road Trip | Day 1 | Belfast & Giant's Causeway

I can't believe I drove in Ireland. Every time I took a corner, I flipped on the wipers. It's about 2.5 hours from Dublin to Belfast.


Awww... what a cute miniature London Eye! It's right next to the Belfast City Hall.

Next up: another quick, two-hour drive to Giant's Causeway on the Northern Coast.

Pensive.
Hexagons!
Legend has it that the Irish warrior Fionn mac Cumhaill (Finn McCool) built Giant's Causeway to walk to Scotland to fight his Scottish counterpart Benandonner, but Fionn fell asleep before he got to Scotland. When he didn't arrive, the much larger Benandonner crossed the bridge looking for him. To protect Fionn, his wife Oonagh laid a blanket over him and pretended he was actually their baby son. When Benandonner saw the size of the 'infant', he assumed the father, Fionn, must be ginormous. Therefore, Benandonner fled home in terror, ripping up the Causeway in case he was followed by Fionn. (These rocks match ones in Scotland - namely, Fingal's Cave.)

Or... the hexagonal stones could be caused by evenly cooled lava.
I wonder if this phone works...

No comments: