Saturday, March 18, 2006

St. Patrick's Day

Finally, a day to celebrate my Irishness. And by "Irishness" I mean my fondness for Guinness/Smith'icks. ((Sidenote: Today I heard TV comedian say that Ireland's contribution to the world was freckles.)) So I dragged myself out of bed, pinned some shamrocks to my jacket and headed toward the city centre to watch the parade with some friends.

Me wearing a few shamrocks!

It was kinda strange to see the busiest street in Dublin closed down for the parade. They estimated some 700,000 people were going to parade today, which was only about 2 miles long ((These figures may be completely wrong since I heard them at the pub)). Very international crowd. Although all were wearing green, most were not speaking English.

Here are some photos of the parade.

O'Connell statue

Weird puppet things

Soccer people

Another float

I was a bit underwhelmed with the parade. Probably because there wasn't a Santa Claus at the end:) Nor were there candy or beads being thrown.

Then off to the pubs for some mandatory Guinness/Smith'icks. ((Remember my fondness for those two.)) Great night had by all.

No comments: