Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Work Trip: Public Museum of Grand Rapids

I finally got a car in Grand Rapids (Well... I actually got one last week, but that doesn't count.)
At first, I thought this was an odd shaped bridge, but then I realized someone had put a table on top of it! Apparently Grand Rapids just had ArtPrize, a huuuge public art contest. From wikipedia, "There is no juror. The artists negotiate a venue with local exhibitors, and the works will be voted on by the public using modern networking technology."
Then off to the Public Museum of Grand Rapids. For only $12, I got admission to the museum, the special exhibit (Leonardo Da Vinci's Machines in Motion), a planetarium show, a spaghetti dinner and all the carousel rides I could handle. Above is a photo from their Furniture City Exhibit. Back in the day, Grand Rapids created gorgeous, wooden furniture; and then it started to create cubicles and folding chairs. Yes, they really do have cubicles and folding chairs on display in the museum (fun for the whole family!)
It's been awhile since I've seen such an odd assortment of exhibits. Here's the "Victorian Natural History" portion of the tour.
And of course, they decorate for Christmas. They placed random Santas throughout the museum. Behind this Santa is a statue of armor. Victorian Natural History is great.
Unfortunately, the Gerald Ford museum is closed on weekday evenings. Gerald Ford became the only President of the United States (1974-1977) who was elected neither President nor Vice-President - and is the only president to come out of Michigan. They've named *a lot* of things after Ford in Michigan.

No comments: