Sunday, September 09, 2007

Watching the Ironman

"While your friends are still in bed, you did it. You did the Ironman."
That's what the announcer said, not to me, but to those who just finished swimming 2.4 miles in Lake Monona. I couldn't even get out of bed to see the start of the race. I did make it to see the transition from swimming to biking though:) Here's the quick run down:
Swim 2.4 miles. Kayakers next to the swimmers help them keep a staight line. After the swim, they run up the car garage spiral of the Monona Terrace.
Getting out of the water...
Volunteers help the swimmers take off their wet suits.
Change outfits, then head toward your bike. Bike 112 miles. Run 26.2 miles. 2200 Competitors.
It was a gorgeous day for the race. We even got to see Frank Farrar, the oldest competitor in the race at age 78. Other fun facts about him: former govenor of South Dakota, still works full time as a lawyer, and flew himself to the race in his own plane! You gotta wonder if he could kick Chuck Norris' ass...

2 comments:

Jonny said...

Excellent posts. Keep em coming. It's so much easier to stalk you when you do all the work for me:)

Juno said...

I do what I can:)