Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Work Trip: Dayton, OH

I started this entry awhile back and never got around to posting it... so its backdated to fit into my adventure chronology. Ohio = Adventure.

This is another one of those "all hands on deck" trips, where they fill a hospital with extra support staff in case any end users need help getting started when they switch on our software. To get volunteers for these fun-filled, 12-hour work days, co-workers send e-mails listing nearby attractions, historical facts, city quirks, etc. Here are the highlights from the Dayton e-mail:
  • The cash register was invented there.
  • It is the ‘birthplace of aviation’ (birthplace of the Wright brothers) AND the airport has a corresponding beautiful carpet with airplanes on it.
  • It is known as the ‘Gem City’ and the ‘Heart of the Heart of it All.’
  • There are weird new statues of random people city-wide (similar to Madison’s cows, but much more eerie).

Carpet at the airport. True. Beautiful and airplane-themed.
The hotel/hospital was near some sort of Wright Brothers center. Not sure what though, since it was closed when I was not working.
I asked the hotel staff for fun things to do in Dayton (ranked #19 most dangerous city in the U.S.) and they told me "the Green." So I hopped in my rental car to check out the new outdoor shopping center. It's sorta a cross between the Mall in Madison and Disney World. Since, it's the same stores in Madison, except three to four times larger, and everything is outside and incredibly clean. The first level are stores (there's a very large Banana Republic in the background) with apartments/condos on the upper levels. I ate at the Cheesecake Factory.

No comments: