Wednesday, September 21, 2005

The Dublin Castle

So after a few days of sleeping off the jet lag and attending International Student Orientation (very boring), I finally got to do something touristy: the Dublin Castle. Here are the three most interesting things I learned from the tour:

1. Guiness wanted to use the Irish harp (symbol of the nation) as their logo as well. Ireland would not allow it, so Guiness changed the harp completely for their logo. And when I say changed completely I mean they flipped it. Ireland's national symbol points toward the right, Guiness' logo points toward the left.




2. Ireland is on its third female president. So for over 20 years they've had a president named Mary. Serious. The Irish president is inaugurated at this castle, otherwise its just another statehouse.

3. The castle, built in 1204 by King John of England, is located near/on top of the "black pool", AKA "dubh linn" for which Dublin is named. Now the castle looks pieced together from different eras, modern to old school castle.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always thought it meant "black water", but you're prolly right. Nice blog Juni!